teaser bild
Ergebnis 1 bis 5 von 5
Forensuche

Thema: USMLE Step 1

Aktive Benutzer in diesem Thema

wakemieze
    Semester:
    Hi everybody!
    I plan on taking the step1 exam after the 6th semester, did any of you already take that test and would like to share his experiences??
    How hard is step1 compared to the Physikum? Is after 6th semester the best time to take it? How much money did it cost you?

Thanks,
    wakemieze
    Geändert von Christian (08.03.2007 um 18:32 Uhr)

TBSE performer Avatar von test
    Semester:
    Facharzt
    Zitat Zitat von wakemieze
    Hi everybody!
    I plan on taking the step1 exam after the 6th semester, did any of you already take that test and would like to share his experiences??
    How hard is step1 compared to the Physikum? Is after 6th semester the best time to take it? How much money did it cost you?

Thanks,
    wakemieze
    I took step 1 in 2005. You can find lots of information and experiences of people who have already done Step 1 here. Just search for step 1 or check out the USA board on medi-learn.
    Step 1 has much more emphasize on clinical topics than Physikum, I did Step 1 after my third clinical semester, which I think was a good point.
    At present Step 1 costs a little bit more than 800$.
    Good luck for your step 1.
    "Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever."

(Maria Mitchell / Mahatma Gandhi)

Registrierter Benutzer
    A friend of mine is preparing to take the USME Step 1 in October 2007. He has completed the fifth semester (first clinical semester) and talks with me a lot about the preparation. So far it seems to be a lot of work, but the Physikum/1. ÄP is considered to be a fairly good preparation, because the questions are mainly clinical but based upon pre-clinical knowledge.
    He mentioned the a book series of "case reports" to be very useful and entertaining. It includes cases, questions, answers and further information. There is also a broad variety of special literature, but there doesn't seem to be an aquivalent to the "Schwarze Reihe".
    If there is, please let me/him know. We'd be thankful.

TBSE performer Avatar von test
    Semester:
    Facharzt
    Zitat Zitat von spacepage
    A friend of mine is preparing to take the USME Step 1 in October 2007. He has completed the fifth semester (first clinical semester) and talks with me a lot about the preparation. So far it seems to be a lot of work, but the Physikum/1. ÄP is considered to be a fairly good preparation, because the questions are mainly clinical but based upon pre-clinical knowledge.
    He mentioned the a book series of "case reports" to be very useful and entertaining. It includes cases, questions, answers and further information. There is also a broad variety of special literature, but there doesn't seem to be an aquivalent to the "Schwarze Reihe".
    If there is, please let me/him know. We'd be thankful.
    www.kaptest.com

www.usmleworld.com

www.usmlerx.com
    "Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever."

(Maria Mitchell / Mahatma Gandhi)

Registrierter Benutzer Avatar von BlondBondGirl
    Semester:
    Ärztin!
    I would definitely recommend taking the USMLE, by the way, for several reasons- 1) It is easier to get a Famulatur/PJ in the states if you have taken it, 2)you really learn your medical English and let's face it, every day we need to know more of it! and 3) now that we only have the physikum and the hammerexamen, we need another opportunity to really learn our stuff!

There is one book, which is considered the "bible" of the USMLE preparation-it is called First Aid for the USMLE step 1 and a new version comes out about every year. There is also a case book that goes along with it and a new question book, but if you have the money or friends to split the fee with, the Qbank from www.kaplan.com is considered the gold-standard in preparation.

The costs of the exam is about 800 and you need to start with the paperwork about 3 months before you plan to take the exam. You will then get a "window" of three months in which you can schedule your exam and there are several test centers in Germany: Frankfurt, Hamburg and Berlin to name a few.

For the step 2, you will have to fly to the states for the practical part of the exam (which is similar to the practical part we will have in our last exam), unless they set that up internationally in the meantime. You also have 7 years from the 1st exam to take the second, just to keep that in mind.

It's hard to say when you should take it-there is some anatomy, physiology and biochem like in the physikum (though much more clinically oriented!) but you most definitely need pathology, microbiology and pharmacology!!

Don't be shocked when you try your first practice questions-I promise, it is the same information, just asked differently!

-KK

MEDI-LEARN bei Facebook