PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Bewerbungsform für Medizinstudium in Schottland

Sarah0201
31.01.2004, 16:08
Hallo,

Ich habe vor nach dem Abi in Schottland Medizin zu studieren. Jetzt suche ich schon seit geraumer Zeit diese Application form, ich weiss nicht wo ich die Im Internet runter ziehen kann, kennt sich jemand damit aus und kann mir weiter helfen ? Wäre echt nett!

Danke

Sarah

Nillson
04.02.2004, 17:21
Allgemein laufen die Bewerbungen für britische Universitäten über die UCAS (sammelt alle Bewerbungen und leitet sie an die Unis weiter, entscheidet aber m.E. nicht wie die ZVS über die Zulassung).

guckst Du hier: UCAS (http://www.ucas.com) :-lesen

Ansonsten gibts auch immer noch Informationen auf den Homepages der jeweiligen Unis. Die Adressen gibt's meines Wissens auch auf o.g. Seite.
Hoffe das hilft Dir weiter...

Gruß,
Nillson

billster
07.02.2004, 22:27
Hello Sarah!

As mentioned in the previous post, in order to apply to study at any university in the UK you need to apply via UCAS, for which there is a fee of around £15 (not sure if this is different for E.U. applicants) - you can apply via UCAS by paper form, or on-line.

The deadline for ALL applications to Medicine, Dentistry, or Vet. Science in the UK is 15th October.

You may only apply to FOUR medical schools (if you put more than four schools on your UCAS form it'll be returned to you).

Scottish universities do not charge tuition fees in a similar manner to English/Welsh Universities. I believe the fee for UK/EU students both is £1,150 per academic year; Scottish applicants normally pay this fee once they've graduated and have a job, English applicants would pay per-year. I know that at Glasgow University neither Scottish nor EU students (full-time) have personal fee liability, however English, Welsh and Irish students do.

Further, you'll need to have studied Chemistry AND Biology or Physics or Maths as Hauptfächer for your Abitur; and, you'll need to be able to prove your command of the English language (normally: IELTS 6.5; TOEFL 550; Cambridge C). Also the University may call you for interview, to which you'll be expected to attend.

St. Andrews does not interview applicants, but offers only the 1st BM (the pre-medical course) students from St. Andrews normally transfer to Manchester to do their clinicals.

Visit the schools directly:
http://www.glasgow.ac.uk
http://www.edinburgh.ac.uk
http://www.dundee.ac.uk
http://www.aberdeen.ac.uk
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk

You can also visit the British versions of medi-foren.de!
http://www.medschoolguide.co.uk/forum
http://www.admissionsforum.co.uk

Hope this helps!

Bill

Sarah0201
08.02.2004, 13:49
Hey!!

Thanks a lot. I finally found the application form, that was pretty easy!! WEll as you heard i want to start medicine in Scotland but my problem is that i missed the 15th of october. I am not sure but I read that you can turn in your applications until the june. However my applications is treated in a different way!! Do you know anything about it.
Well do you think St, Andrews is a good school ragarding medicine? I only want to study until my " Physikum" that means the first two years and afterwards i want to transfer to a german university. I heard from a friend's sister who is studying at St. Andrews that she has not to pay a fee only the money for living at campus and the meals!! Is that handled in that way at every university ?? Well I attended a boarding school in America for one year, so that won't be a problem.
Where are you studying? And which universities would you recommend me???

Thanks

sarah

billster
13.02.2004, 23:09
Hiya Sarah,

The absolute deadline for ALL applicants to medical degrees in the UK is 15th October - for Home as well as EU students - i think the deadline for international students is slightly extended.

Your application as an EU student will be handled in the same way as a UK student.

St. Andrews offers only the pre-clinical course, unlike other Scottish universities where the course is integrated and lasts 5-6yrs. St. Andrews students normally do their clinicals at Manchester or Edinburgh. The course at St. Andrews is more 'traditional' - Oxford and Cambridge are the only other universities that still offer the pre-clinical-then-clinical-type course. If it is your intention to transfer to Germany after your pre-clinical studies, then St. Andrews would probably be your best bet - the degree offered is a BSc in Medical Science.

As for fees and costs - it varies from student to student depending on your family circumstances. I think (though not sure) that your local education authority should contribute to your tuition fees, though i believe this depends on which Bundesland you live in. Keep in mind, however, that since Prince William studied at St. Andrews prices for accomodation have shot up (though this will only be a concern for you if you have to find your own accomodation).

As for me, i'm in my Upper Sixth year of A-levels (Biology, Chemistry, German) and currently hold a conditional offer of ABB to study medicine at Guy's, King's and St. Thomas Medical School!

Good luck with your applications!

Bill

Sarah0201
15.02.2004, 19:43
HI Bill!!

I have troubles with all those course codes. What is exactly the difference between A100, A103, A 104, A101 and A106? Because at the homepage od Dundee the offer once A100 and A104( which is the premedical year entry) Which one is the right one for me( because I want to start studying there)? And besides that the short form of the course title differs. In St. Andrews it is Bsc/McSc and at all the other as for example Glasgow, Dundee, Aberdeen etc it is MB/ChB. Do you know the difference?

And I Think besides those problems the biggest will be filling out page 2 with all the grades. I have no clue how this works. What is an Awarding body? I mean I am graduating in june so I don't really know the results until that month. Do i have to fill in my grades from the 12th grade or even 11th? Section 7A tells me I have to enter the Qualifications which are completed but what about section 7B Do i have to enter something in here? How am I suppose to turn in my aplication on the 15th october 2003 when I just started to that time the 12th grade and I didn't know any of my grades????

I hope you can answer all those questions!! You help me a lot, thanks for that!!

P.s Where are you studying??

Bye Sarah

billster
15.02.2004, 21:44
Hello Sarah!

Have you read through the advice section for international students on the UCAS website? Here: http://ucas.com/studyuk/index.html

The UCAS form can be quite confusing!

The advice from the UCAS 'How to Apply' 2004 Handbook (given to us in the UK by our schools/colleges) says for non-UK qualifications:

"You should check your qualifications with the Admissions Offices at the universities you want to apply to before filling in your application form. Each one will decide whether or not your qualifications meet or could meet their entry requirments for the course you are interested in. When you fill in your application form you should give full details of all your qualifications, including exams you took when you left school, exams you took to get into higher education, vocational exams and any other qualifications or awards. Please do not try to give a UK equivalent.

You must give the full title of the exam board or awarding body, the correct title of the exam, details of any units that make up your qualification, and your final overall marks or grades.

If the colum headings are not appropriate for you, ignore them and write the following information in the section.

- The date when you completed the qualification (Section 7A); or, when you will complete it (Section 7B);

- The exact overall title of the qualification, for example:
- International Baccalaureate;
- Diplome de fin d'Etudes Secondaires;
- Diploma di Maturita Scientifica; etc

- The awarding body;

- The language used for teaching the qualification.

List the individual subjects you have taken, and in the results column, give the grade or mark you achieved for each subject (and the overall result for the qualification is appropriate).

If your first language is not English, but your qualifications were completely or partly assessed in English, please make this clear. You should also give details or any English language tests you have taken or plan to take, giving dates, titles and any syllbabus code.

Send a copy of all transcripts, certificates or other proof of your qualifications to each university or college you apply to, giving the title and code number of the course and your UCAS application number. DO NOT SEND US ANY QUALIFICATION PAPERS."

--- This is rather a large amount of information! In your case i believe you'd need the exact overall title of the qualification, which would be 'Die allgemeine Hochschulreife', and also, if you took it, the 'Mittlere Reife' - in each case listing each subject and the mark you received for each subject.

If your qualification was awarded by a particular organisation, enter that organisation's name into the 'awarding body' section - i don't think this applies to you as your get your Schulabschlusse in Germany from your individual schools, don't you? In the UK there are several awarding bodies: AQA, Edexcel, OCR, CCEA - i don't think you have this in Germany.

The course codes.

A100 is for the 5-6year course leading to the MBBS, MBChB (both are essentially the same; one is in English, the other Latin). MSci is a masters qualification, which you do after attaining a BSc.

A104 is a 6yr course and includes a foundation year in sciences. The A104 is for those who didn't study science/maths A-levels.

A106 is the 'second MB' entry route; this is open to graduates only.

Because you plan on transferring to a German medical school, i would think the A104 would be the best course, seeing as the A100 is integrated (there is no clear distinction between pre-clinical and clinical, excluding at St. Andrews, where the A100 leads to a BSc in Medical Sciences). Dundee and Edinburgh are the only Scottish Unis that offer the 1st MB 'pre-medical' course.

My best advice to you would to telephone/write to/email the individual universities you wish to apply to! They can be very helpful!

Remember, the deadline for medical applications is the 15th October 2004, so you have plenty of time!

Sarah0201
18.02.2004, 12:10
Thanks, that helped a lot. Just one more question: I saw at the ucas website that the application have to be turned in until the 15th of october 2003, otherwise there are treated a late. They also mentioned that until the 30th june you can still send them. Do you think I have a chance for the entry 2004( reagarding my late application) Because I don't really wanna wait one more year and besides the application for 2005 is not available yet or?

Thanks

Sarah

billster
19.02.2004, 00:45
Hiya Sarah!

You're correct in saying that the 2004 application cycle has not yet finished; however, the deadline is only extended till March, and this is ONLY for Route B (Art and Design) courses. The deadline for applications to medical schools is 15th Oct. You will need to apply 15th Oct 2004, for 2005 entry, i'm afraid. You can send off your UCAS application for 2005 entry beginning mid-September '04! Processing of 2004-entry Ucas forms does not finish till late August.

Is there a particular reason you're so keen to study in Scotland? It would probably be easier and less stressful for you if you studied at a German institute, and as part of your course or on the ERASMUS programme, did part of your studies at a British/Scottish institute. But then again, you have nothing to lose by applying! So good luck!

And i would really recommend you call the individual universities too - i've been asking around, and, apparently, some British universities do not accept the Abitur as an entry qualification for A100 courses! So email/phone the universities you're thinking of submitting an application to, and ask them what their entry-requirements policy for German-EU applicants is. Oh, and also, you should talk to your local British Council office for help and advice on applying to UK universities!

http://www.britishcouncil.de/
http://www.educationuk.org/
http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/universityguide/story/0,9889,959146,00.html (helpful tips for writing your personal statement and making your UCAS form shine ;))

All the best!

Bill