PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : *literature YOU'd recommend*

Seiten : [1] 2 3

hypnotel
05.03.2007, 19:13
friends and colleagues,

as we all know German can be quite an uncomfortable language - to read, to speak, to write.
It's certainly a pity having to read some great piece of art, or work of science that has been translated to German carelessly.
For those capable of the language, be it more or less, original English versions may provide a greater joy or purpose of reading.

Since another user also pointed towards this in the starting thread, I'd like you to recommend English literature of whatever content, right here.
Not to speak of movies, who's gonna start that thread..?

please go ahead!

Short reviews, links, quotes and whatever you like are appreciated too... but please consider matters of legality ;-)

hypnotel
05.03.2007, 19:14
Let me start with standards...

I personally enjoyed Salinger's 'Catcher in the rye' much more than 'Der Fänger im Roggen' which we read in German class half a life ago. It's weird too, but I sense a different protagonist here :-nix
Same thing with 'Lord of the flies' - the German translation does not really convey the characters' situative psychopathologies to me, as does the original text...

why, I'm longing for some of you to name authors like Bukowski, Kerouac, Burroughs... :-)

Books
05.03.2007, 19:29
John Steinbeck's novel "Of mice and men" capture the atmosphere of the southern states and the job of agriculture worker better than the film with John Malkovich in the leading role did. The characters in the novel were described in more details and in a more colourful way, than the film can show.

ok, it's not perfect english, but I have tried my very best. :-)
P.S: is this what you mean?

Feuerblick
05.03.2007, 19:32
Harper Lee´s "To kill a mocking bird" - never ever try to read it in German!

Books
05.03.2007, 19:44
Harper Lee´s "To kill a mocking bird" - never ever try to read it in German!
also the translation of the title is wrong, cause a mocking bird isn't a nightingale :-D

Bille11
05.03.2007, 19:46
i'd recommend

(crime/espionage)
everything by colin forbes for easy-reading - and

(woman/shopping/ultralight)
shopaholic by sophie kinsella and

every biograph(y) you can get hold of.

ledoell
05.03.2007, 19:53
shakespeare - a midsummer nights dreaming

...in my opinion: the very best piece of drama that was ever delivered from the mastermind of european literature; nothing can be compared to the beauty of words and the magic of speech as they appear in the marvellous lines of the original version...

Doctöse
05.03.2007, 19:59
Sting's biography - "Broken Music" --> It's fantastic!

Bill Bass - "Deaths Acre" --> this is the biography of the forensic anthropologist who set up the "Body Farm", a forensic lab; absolutely weird but true stories :-))

hypnotel
05.03.2007, 20:06
you girls & guys are great,

is this what you mean?
coz dis exactly wut me ment. :-top

I recommend to you a great lot: the original lecture of Calvin & Hobbes comic books by Bill Watterson... :-love

Muriel
05.03.2007, 20:09
I recommend to you a great lot: the original lecture of Calvin & Hobbes comic books by Bill Watterson... :-love

yeah! Sometime I will buy this here (http://www.amazon.de/Complete-Calvin-Hobbes-Vol/dp/0740748475/ref=sr_1_2/302-0908894-2640818?ie=UTF8&s=books-intl-de&qid=1173121712&sr=8-2) :-love *sigh*

hypnotel
05.03.2007, 20:15
*bookmarked* :-)

Doctöse
05.03.2007, 20:18
*sigh* "The Wind in the Willows" - by Kenneth Grahame

"Watership Down" - by Richard Adams

Oh, I love these novels and also their wonderful film adaptations :-love

Muriel
05.03.2007, 20:24
Jonathan Safran Foer "Everything ist illuminated" and "Extremely loud and incredibly close"
Best novels I've ever read
Btw, has anyone watched the film (first one)? I can't stand Elijah Wood, so I haven't watched it yet...

ledoell
05.03.2007, 20:53
I did read "Extremely loud and incredibly close" but so far I didn't manage to finish "Everything is illuminated"...this one is way to strange for me :-D ...

would love to watch the film as soon as I reach the last page...

Grübler
05.03.2007, 21:04
The Discworld novels. Great stuff, but surely not the easiest. Mr Pratchett combines some already extraordinary words into freaking new creations ;-) But if you understand it, it's even more fun than in German :-top

Evil
05.03.2007, 21:08
"The Lord of the Rings"
Although the older translation by M Carroux is quite good you should read the original.

"The Discworld Series" by Terry Pratchett
Be careful not to miss a lot of the jokes ;-)

Likewise "The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy"

Meuli
05.03.2007, 21:13
Likewise "The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy"

Yeaaaah!!! I LOVE it :-))

Oh freddled gruntbuggly,
Thy micturations are to me
As plurdled gabbleblotchits
On a lurgid bee.
Groop, I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes
And hooptiously drangle me
With crinkly bindlewurdles,
Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon,
See if I don't!

hypnotel
05.03.2007, 21:15
:-lesen :-top

i've been waiting for these! come on, there's a lot more!

*Jen*
05.03.2007, 21:36
i'm really surprised that i'm the first to mention it:
harry potter!
i really don't want to read these books in german (and not only because i'm too impatient to wait for the translation to come out ;-) )

Hellequin
05.03.2007, 22:03
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King.

I read some of the book in german too, but the original transferring the atmosphere much more better than the translation.

*ok, first post in the english section* :-D