PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Medical English – how to keep it going ?

Ricardos
07.03.2007, 12:55
Hoppla-Daisy asks the right question : What happened to your English when you left school? Well, I am not German but French (but we are all Europeans, right ?). In France we have exactly the same problem with English, probably worse in fact. Some of us are lucky to have spent time in the US or UK (or Japan like Kackbratze). But what about the rest of us ? I was fortunate to grow up in Australia but studied medicine in France. So I studied and worked with colleagues who forgot most of the English they learnt at school (and regretted it). A few years ago, together with some English medics/language teachers we put together a system called TALKING MEDICINE, based on regular listening practice of authentic, intellectually stimulating material. This was recently posted on the internet at http://www.talkingmedicine.com

I’d be interested to know what German medics think of it. Perhaps someone might post this information in a « German-speaking » part of the forum for colleagues who are too shy about coming to « in English Please »

Danke schön

BlondBondGirl
08.03.2007, 22:29
I know this sounds crazy, but rent ER, Scrubs and Grey's Anatomy and watch them in English! (You can start with German subtitles, progress to English subtitles, and then graduate to no subtitles to challenge yourself!) You would be amazed how much you can learn from that, especially if you plan on going to the states (and not just reading english journals!) and have to deal with idioms and accents.

I look forward to checking out your site! ;)

Sackbauer
08.03.2007, 22:31
Watching ER in English, with English subtitles, that's the way I trained before I went to the UK.

carov
12.03.2007, 15:49
I checked out your Medical English site. I must say it's good - perhaps should I say very good. But I would like to see more modules on different subjects. Is that going to happen ?

Carov :-micro

Evil
12.03.2007, 19:01
Erm, perhaps you haven't yet noticed that it started just about a week before... ;-)
there WILL be more threads, you can definitely count on that...

at least some spam :-))

bioworm
15.03.2007, 08:58
In other countries (I think in almost all other countries except Germany) we dont actually synchronize the movies, we just put subtitles. That means that you can learn english really easy if you want to. It is a very easy way of learning english and it makes fun. You dont believe how much your english will improve. If you are interested in medical terms I suggest you just download ER, Scrubs and of course House MD (dont forget that one) put first some english subtitles on it or just leave the subs out.

Aehm... I mean you buy the DVD. Of course you buy the DVDs. Other one is illegal, right? So you dont download, you buy the DVDs (pfiou...that was close).

Otherwise i think you just learn english medical terms by using them in England (or US or some english colony or anywhere). Why bother learning the whole words, if you are asked either way to do a "PET Scan or MRI, and if these dont show anything try a LB" :-) .

(Edit): I checked your website and I have to say that 's a brilliant idea. Actual tape recording of interwievs... nice.

Sackbauer
15.03.2007, 14:47
Why bother learning the whole words, if you are asked either way to do a "PET Scan or MRI, and if these dont show anything try a LB" :-) .

LP! -> lumbar puncture

sunrise10086
17.03.2007, 15:14
To keep my general English going, I read.
I love gossip so therefore I read all the stupid gossip-magazines online (People, HELLO just to name a few). They all come in English. Whenever I go to the movies, I make sure to watch the non-dubbed version. Not only are they just better but the dubbed stuff makes me sick to death.
When I left school it helped a lot to keep my English going to acutally read some of the lyrics of songs I was listening to.
Apart from that I read lots of English books.

Regarding Medical English... It does help to watch ER (as it is more accurate as, say, Grey's where the "drama's great but the medicine's shit"), but it also points out a severe problem of medicine in general: There are just too many abbrevations. Having spend some time both in the UK and in the US, they differ significantly between these two countries. "AF" in the UK is "A-Fib" in the States, the Brits like units, the Americans don't and it goes on and on... The only way to get this stuff going is TALK TALK TALK even if it's difficult at times.

McBeal
20.03.2007, 06:13
At the moment I do not want to read and talk too much in English but I cannot help it: as I am writing my dissertation, a friend of mine is Australian and we have Chinese patient in gynae I have to read and talk so much... I would like to avoid it, because I want to improve and train my French and it is difficult for me, but there is no chance. :-)) (Medical) English ist everywhere!! :-D

Love,
Ally

Ricardos
23.03.2007, 22:33
If you want to improve your Fench, then perhaps a new forum: "En francais s'il vous plaît" - Anyone ?

tennisshatterhand
25.03.2007, 19:59
I'd recommend a trip to an English speaking country in first place, BUT you have to make sure, that the place you are going to is not crowded with Germans. Otherwise you will end up spending all your leisure time with them in spite of the 'locals' and won't have considerable improvement (because you WILL switch to talk German, believe me). Once you dream in English (and it happens and no it won't take years) everything goes much easier.

And well for the technical terms see the answers above. ER, etc....
I'd just add some writing or a hospital internship to the point of watching the movies all the time. Because understanding words is one thing, using them a different.