PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Which medical textbook do you recommend?

Seiten : [1] 2

Zoidberg
07.03.2007, 14:09
As we all know, english speaking textbooks are mostly superior to german textbooks.
In this thread I would like you to recommend your favorite english speaking textbook.
I start with Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, maybe the most famous medical textbook of all times :-)) It covers every aspect of "medicine" with very detailed information, a must have in your bookshelf ;-)
Also avaiable in a German translation, which is much more expensive than the English one.
Other favorites of mine are Guytons Textbook of medical physiology and the Oxford Handbook of Medicine.

Evil
08.03.2007, 14:10
I'd recommend the Oxford Handbooks if your're going to work in an English speaking country, they're much better than the German Klinikleitfaden or Checkliste.
Easy to understand and well structured.

though they lack the funny chapter about how to lay down an anasthesiologist *g*

Kedar
08.03.2007, 15:19
I jsut started, but maybe some of u are intressted in a starters book aswell. I really like Lippincott´s Biochemistry..

And McMurry: Fundamentals of organic chemistry. :-top

hypnotel
08.03.2007, 15:22
why, nicely corresponding thread, clinging to this one.

I myself have never read an entire English medical book, papers utmost, so there's nothing I could recommend here :-blush

Kackbratze
08.03.2007, 16:15
As we all know, english speaking textbooks are mostly superior to german textbooks.

Thats definitely NOT true. (but its not wrong either)(depends on the book).

I really like the Basic Hsitology by Junqueia and Carneiro and also the
Textbook of Biochemistry by Thomas Devlin.

Some other book I read...well I could not recommend them, they were just crap....like House of God....

hypnotel
08.03.2007, 16:21
I really like the Basic Histology by Junqueia and Carneiro
That is also my favorite piece concerning Histology, but there is a German version too.

Nevertheless you're quite right to doubt Zoidberg's superiority theory, just my 0.02 €

ubermensch
08.03.2007, 16:54
Thats definitely NOT true. (but its not wrong either)(depends on the book).

I really like the Basic Hsitology by Junqueia and Carneiro and also the
Textbook of Biochemistry by Thomas Devlin.

Some other book I read...well I could not recommend them, they were just crap....like House of God....

i've heard house of God is pretty good though, but obviously not as a medical text
book

Kackbratze
08.03.2007, 17:37
The german translation of the Junqueira is not very good, because the translators added a few more things that really complicated the text and the informations.

And I dislike House of God because everybody (especially the radiologists) think, that its a bible for german hospitals.
It is NOT.
Its for amercan hospitals.

Try screwing a nurse and you´ll find out
:-top

hypnotel
08.03.2007, 17:50
The german translation of the Junqueira is not very good, because the translators added a few more things that really complicated the text and the informations.
Wasn't aware of that, thanks for adding.

Taking HOG as a bible - that could explain some (German) doctors being quite apart from reality. It's a cocainist farce after all. ;-)

Books
08.03.2007, 18:05
Accoriding to John Updike's preword the House of God was written to show the working conditions for Interns in the 70s, or not?

And IMHO it's written in a very satiric way, so the reader has to interpret the story, for example: the anal mirror.

Kedar
08.03.2007, 21:17
Sorry for ruin the discussion, but like someone said before, House of God is not a medical textbook and there already is a thread about english literature. And I know for sure that that book is already mentioned there. So maybe here we should stick to medical textbooks.

katiroo
10.03.2007, 00:01
I got to know the Oxford handbooks (clinical medicine, clinical surgery and emergency medicine) when I was in Australia for an elective last year and I love them! They are the most practical books I've ever seen. The first thing I did when I got back to Germany was ordering the Oxford handbook of clinical medicine. And I've been using it a lot back here as well. I often use it just to look up something quickly.
Anyway, can't wait to go back to Australia!!! :-love

Tombow
10.03.2007, 14:26
The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy
(how come nobody mentioned it so far?!?)

William Gannong - Textbook of Medical Physiology
(IMHO the best physiology textbook ever)

Jugulum
10.03.2007, 16:09
The Washington Manual Internship Survival Guide

Does anyone know this one? Is it any good?

I can als recommend the Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine. I covers a lot more than just internal medicine!

test
10.03.2007, 17:13
The Washington Manual Internship Survival Guide

Does anyone know this one? Is it any good?

I can als recommend the Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine. I covers a lot more than just internal medicine!

The Washington Manual Internship Survival Guide is very short and probably most useful for true Interns.
If youre looking for a Pocket Book for Medicine I would recommend the Massachusetts Pocket Notebook Pocket Medicine or if you prefer more text The Washington Manual of medical therapeutics.
BUt I really love the Pocket Medicine and it's used by nearly every medical intern and resident I saw.

Squirrel2007
05.04.2007, 18:09
Well if you thought "House of God" was crap, then I guess you didn't really understand what the book was about, eh?? Nevermind, don't bother trying to read it again, simply write your own version of it in a few years time, when you discover that you're overworked, underpaid and PERMANENTLY TIRED!!!

Apart from all that, I like the idea of this english language forum. For me it'll be a welcome break from having to talk german all day... :)

Wishing you all an excellent Easter!

Tombow
05.04.2007, 18:18
Well if you thought "House of God" was crap, then I guess you didn't really understand what the book was about, eh??

A bit over the top, don' you think?

IMHO "House of God" is to the medical circles the same as Orwell's "1984" or Heller's "Catch 22" are to society in general. One finds himself pretty oft entangled in situations which pretty much resemble the action in the books but in general, all three books are to be read with a common sense and their messages taken with a grain of salt and a good deal of humor.

Just my 2 cents.

sunrise10086
05.04.2007, 22:49
My favourite textbook would be Cumar&Clark's "Clinical Medicine"

It's a biggie but covers all major diseases and syndromes one can run across in Medicine.
And it's a good read compared to all the German books I've used so far.

Chefhengst
03.05.2007, 22:25
just came back from Canada and I almost fell into a shopping spree because most of the American medical textbooks are so much nicer to read than most of the stuff you get hold of in Germany.

I really liked the
- Bates Guide to Physical Examination (I suppose there is a German version as well) &
- Lange´s Symptoms to Diagnosis which gives you a systematic approach to some very common diseases -> great for students. we are never taught systematic medical reasoning in medical school.

But speaking of good books, I found one of the most valuable learning experiences to regulary check the New England Journal of Medicine www.nejm.org for their weekly "Case of the week" which is extremely good and the student journal of the British Medical Journal at www.studentbmj.com, which has nice articles aimed at medical students.

check out my website as well: www.pda-medicus.de

Wolfgang

mr.burns
04.05.2007, 08:41
Hi!

Could u post a link to the case of the week in New England Journal of Medicine? I just found something like a "image of the week". Or is this you`re talking about?

Thx so far

björn