PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Have you ever been to England/USA?

Seiten : [1] 2 3

Diddy
07.03.2007, 18:48
Hey,

in this theard you can write, if you were in England oder USA.
-Where did you have been?
-What was fantastic?
-What was bad?
-What did you love in this country?
-How was the weather ^^ :-D
and so on^^

with love,

Diddy :-winky

Ps: Sorry for my bad english :-oopss

Books
07.03.2007, 19:32
I traveled to england in my school time, I was in the 7th grade. We visit South England and Cornwell. It was fascinating and motivating to use the learned language skills in conversation, at the butcher :-)) , in the supermarket.....

But, it has to be mentioned, the food, specially the jam, didn't taste very nice, when you were get used to the german (or for the jam to the french :-love ) food quality.

The people and the weather were friendly :-) . At the coast the guarded military areas bother the peaceful atmosphere. But the little villages in the small bays compensate this impression, so the stay on the Island remember me as valueabel trip.

Unfortunatly we had no time to visit London, the city specially the Buckingham Palace and the Tower or the docks sound(ed) interesting to me :-oopss . But this can be done in the future, also like a trip to scotland :-love ...Let the good times role, you know :-) .

alex1
07.03.2007, 19:45
I have been to London, I believe it was back in 1995 or 1996.
I enjoyed the city a lot, although it was awful warm. I think the bad thing about the weather in London during the summer months is the high humidity which combined with the high temperature forms a very unpleasant atmosphere.
I visited all the famous sightseeings of course and did some extensive shopping as well.
The food was by far better than what I had anticipated, I had some really good meals in London restaurants.
What I absolutely despised were English bathrooms, which are a complete catastrophy. One can only wash his wands with either freezing cold or burning cold water.
;-)

Kackbratze
07.03.2007, 20:31
Been to London to visit my wifes cousin.
Lots of beer and pubs.
Great time (just 3 days), unfortunaltely the cousin moved from London to Strasbourg.
I dont like the french and their wine......it wine, not beer.

And the other time I was in Edinburgh.
3 days.
First day was great, second day we went to the "new royal infirmary" (little france) by ambulance because my wife had a really bad GI-Infection.
Third day I fell down the stairs in our b&b and sprayned my ancle pretty bad.

I guess they wont sell us a room in that b&b again ;-)

But everytime I really enjoyed it.

And best of all, there is a 18hole golfcourse right in front of "little france".
It a good reason to apply for a job there.... :-wow

Flauta
07.03.2007, 20:38
In my life, I was twice in Great-Britain.
The first time, we passed 2 nights in the area of London. This was with the musical team of our grammar school. We visited the city and went to the musical theatre. We watched the same musical that we presented in our school: les misérables.
It was very fascinating.

A few years later, I went to England on a concert tour with a wind orchestra. we were in Kings Lynn an vistied Oxford and Cambridge. In London we visited the city by bus and had about 6h to visit the city freely.

The first travel was done bybus and ferry boat and the second by using the tunnel. I prefered the boat....I don't linke the idea to know that a big ocean is on the top of me....

o my God, my English is so bad.... :-oopss

sweetashoney
08.03.2007, 10:15
I was an exchange student in Jackson/MI about 4 years ago (too long ago =((. It was the best school year I ever spent and I am really grateful that my whole family supported me SO much and made my dream of living the American way of life true! Although I encountered several rough situations as for example in living out in the bunnies and my hostparents repeatedly leaving me there for weekends without a car or any friends close to hang out with, I also had a lot fun times eg I went to the Bahamas and made great friends. The weather wasn't really that nice because it felt like winter until July (so, I was pretty glad to come back to the wonderful very HOT summer here in Europe =)). Anyhow, I am just so happy that I could experience a new culture thoroughly and that I met the man of my dreams there! I can't wait to go back to Michigan and visit all of my friends there this christmas! (I haven't seen them since I left in 2003)

ledoell
08.03.2007, 10:38
well...I've been to Great Britain in 1997 with my family. First, we spent a week in London, watching all the famous sights...unfortunately, I was only 11 years old by then, so I couldn't really enjoy all the great cultural possibilities that the city offers too much...visit the shakesperean theatre, the hyde park (speakers corner), the british library and so on...and of course all the lovely quarters like notting hill, greenwich, west end, east end etc....after the week in London, we headed for Cornwall to the coast-sided town of Bude where we tried to swim in the ice-cold sea ;-)...nice landscape there, too...

in 2005, I've been to New York for 8 days...here, you have so many possibilities (at least in the cultural field), you have to pick some few important ones...we went to Columbia University, the Museum of Modern Art, the Natural History Museum (which is close to Strawberry Fields, the John Lennon-Memorial in central park)...morover, we did some jogging in central park (the famous way round the basin), visited most of manhatten and some parts of queens and brooklyn (where I went to a concert of "stereophonics"), visited liberty island...because the central park is so huge and situated right in the middle of manhattan, it creates a really comfortable atmosphere...you can stay all day long in the park, doing whatever and the step right out to the scyscrapers :)...

apple
08.03.2007, 12:10
I`ve been to England twice.
The first time when I was 15. The journey was organized by my school, unfortunately we just stayed for 5 days. We lived with guest families in Hastings near London. Of course 5 days are really short, so we did not see that much, but tried to use the time as good as possible by visiting London and some sights of Hastings.
I was really fascinated by this country and was sure to come again some day.
My next chance to visit GB came to me at the age of 17, I think (I´m not quite sure about the age :-blush ). I took part in a student exchange and stayed at a guest family in Brighton with a friend of mine. This time I had 3 weeks to see a bit more :-). Unfortunately the familiy I lived with wasn`t as nice as the one in Hastings. There was a lot of quarrel between the parents and between the parents and the two little children. But in spite of it we had a good time. In the mornings we went to „school“ where we and some other german students were taught English by Native Speakers. After school we went to the beach (it was summer) or to the shopping centre. In the evenings we went to cinema or to theatre or just met at the beach or at McDonalds. This leads me to a very negative point of England- the food !I really hate English food :-kotz . We had cornflakes and coke for breakfast (for 3 weeks !), vinegar crisps and fat sandwiches for lunch at school and strange microwave-food for dinner, for example steak with peppermint-sauce. So McDonalds was paradise for us. Fruits were very expensive, so we didn`t have the pleasure to get some very often.
The best of all were the weekends, of course. We went to London twice where we visited all the sights a tourist has to see. And of course shopping was a must, too. Or we traveled a bit along the coast.
Another great thing was the circumstance that we could see the solar eclipse at the beach of Brighton, this was very impressing to me.
In summary I think England is a wonderful country and I hope to go there again some day to see a bit more of the north, maybe Scotland too, but I would never stay at a guest family again and try to avoid eating typical English food.

Flauta
08.03.2007, 12:50
Is South-Africa counting, too?

We were there 2 years ago, as you guess, also with an orchestra (youth wind band).
We stayed in a Lodge in Cape TOwn and than moved to guest families. We had a concert in the Opera House in Cape Town. Unfortunately we saw how it all was going to be older because there is no money for culture left.
In Cape Twon I was loged in a family that lives in a "coloureds Township". This family was very friendly, it was a very impressing stay where we had a lot of fun, made friends but we saw how difficult the past and present is still for a not white family and that there is still hostility between whites, colored and black people.
We passed form Cape Town to Kneesna on the garden route. Than from there to Kimberley and from there to Bloemfontain. In K. I stayed in a family where the mother is a secondary school teacher and the father a doctor for paediatrics. It wasvery interessting to know the facts of these professions in SA. In B. I stayed in a family of a biochemestry professor and I learnt a lot about university life in SA.
We moved than to an other University Town and than to a former Farm near Pretoria. The Farm is now used for pleasur and tourists. We can see here how farmer life was and make some hiking tours in the nature that looked very african. The owener's son is a pilot at British Airways and he told us a lot about his profession. In the evenings we sit around the (BBQ) fire and listened to the sound of the African nature: you must try this once, wow!!
Than we moved to a safari-park and did a tour in the evening. That was so fantasic to discover the big five by night. Our rangers were very big nature fans and showed as very typical staff, that is normally hidden to tourists. And in ther very early morning we had the possibilty to do again a tour by our bus to the safari park. As we were driving in the bus, the sunb was rising and we had a beautiful vieuw to a lake like it was in "lion king". It was soooooo beautiful!!!
we did all the ways by bus so that we saw a lot of this country and the contact to the guets families we had impressions of the culture of SA that no Tourist can have.

This stay was very special: interesting and shocking.
But we enjoyed it.

Iloenchen
08.03.2007, 15:01
I've been to England a few times when I was younger. My grandmother's cousin moved there many years ago, got married and got children and that's why I've got many relatives in England. I was thinking about making a 'Famulatur' in England, and I hope that I could live with them during my stay.
As to the USA: I've been to New York in 2004. It was great, but it was also very expensive, and I have to admit that I was quite disappointed when I saw the Statue of Liberty. I always expected it to be really huge, but it was much smaller than in my imagination.

Meuli
08.03.2007, 15:37
and I have to admit that I was quite disappointed when I saw the Statue of Liberty. I always expected it to be really huge, but it was much smaller than in my imagination.

*laugh* this is true, I was feeling the same way. But then, I had a fever of about 39°C the day I was there and we climbed up the stairs to the torch, so I was actually pretty glad that thing wasn't taller :-))

Schimmelschaf
08.03.2007, 15:38
Last Night I was in GB... In Hogwarts :-oopss But in real life... Nope.

DJ83
08.03.2007, 18:03
I went to London 3 times as a tourist. Awesome city, great sights, nice markets and stores and great nightlife! It was always good weather and I love the underground at rush hour - it's like you got caught in a shoal =). And we always had great weather, it was cold but sunny.

In 1999 I also was an exchange student in the US. It didn't have the bad reputation that it has now and America is just great when youre a teenager.
I got the opportunity to live in two different cities in two different states-one lived in the suburban area of Washington, D.C. and the other in the Pennsylvanian farmland. I loved that everyone there is so friendly and open, the food and the shopping malls =). I didn't like the superficiality of some people that much, and that no one really cares about the environment or what's going on in the world. And the weather was great =)!

Bille11
08.03.2007, 18:12
i've been to west-sussex for 11th grade schooling at a public school. it was great but as for the school was a rather high-pitched ground i felt somewhat lonely there.. sometimes. other times were great and i remember the time there gratefully.
also i went to oxford for a abitur-preparation-course one or 2 years later and had a lotta fun.
after abitur 1 spent 6 weeks at a international youth camp in texas.. it was a great time - time of my life. we spent our time at camp sites and at familys equally and i was lucky to stay at the same family the first 2 weeks and the last week. we became real friends over the time and sometimes write emails and share pictures..

also i went to london a few times since that time and my plan is to visit edinburgh and scotland and wales sometimes..

hypnotel
08.03.2007, 18:24
England, that means London, twice for shopping reasons. Great (music) stores and clubs, but gruesome food, terrible landscape and climate. England is definitely not my place to be ;-)

US, mainly the 5 southwestern states, 8 times.
I've been travelling around Arizona for money, since my job was to drive the accompanying van for rich German motorcycle tourists. Got that job via relatives.
The southwest offers such great landscapes, say alone the Canyons, those little miner villages, the deserts or down the Californian coast, Highway#1. Surprisingly good (variety of) food. Warm but rather arid climate. Lots of beautiful, outgoing (but rather superficial, as somebody said) people. Great spots for skateboarders and surfers as we're talking of California. Furthermore, Mexico is always near :-))

Florida is mayhem, been to Miami, Orlando and the 'glades on vacation with my Dad. Tourist overload, heat, pollution, crime, 110% humidity. It's simply the US equivalent of Mallorca/Ibiza.
Never been to New England at all - except Chicago airport where I almost got arrested for smoking in the wrong place.

As already mentioned, I will never again visit the US. At least not until there's a major switch in the political structure, which equals 'never'...
It's a shame as the US could be a wonderful place to be. America sure was before 'civilized man' laid his hands on this continent.

McBeal
08.03.2007, 19:45
When I was a pupil, I went to Malta for a language course for three weeks between class 10 and 11. Unfortunately, the course was a little bit too easy: not bad, but the grammar and vocabulary we were taught was more for beginners. Although I did not learn much at the English school there, my English improved by talking to the Maltese people in the streets, the shops and in my guest family. I did not like Malta so much, because I thought it was too hot to stay there for three weeks and there are only three sandy beaches.
After class 12 I went to another language course in Dublin. This was very great! I loved the Irish climate (not too hot ;-) ), the Irish people, the houses, the city, the countryside...
In the summer after my school exam, my boyfriend and I spent two weeks in England. The first nine days we lived in a very nice B&B in Porthtowan, Cornwall and the last five nice we spent in Sevenoaks near London and went to London twice or three times. I also liked Cornwall's countryside very much and there was also a beach in Porthtowan. I also like London, but I do not want to spend there more than a few days a year - too big and too crowded!
Last but not least I spent a month on the Isle of man last summer, where I did a traning in Paediatrics at Noble's Hospital. This was really great, because I did not feel like a tourist, but as a normal working member of the society and I got too know people from many different countries, because there was no British doctor in my ward.
I enjoyed all my trips to English speaking countries and I hope to go to Ireland again soon! :-)

Ally

Sackbauer
08.03.2007, 20:44
It's called "have you ever been TO the UK"....

hypnotel
08.03.2007, 22:59
...for sure, Sir! But please have mercy, for our little threadstarter

Ps: Sorry for my bad english :-oopss

voluntarily gave proof to the fact that

nobody's perfect :-)

/ot

LaTraviata
08.03.2007, 23:26
I've spent two summers in Brighton, England in a summer school. It was a real great time there, and London's nearby. I've visited many museums and - as ordinarily for a modern woman - I've spent a lot of time in these great stores and fancy milinerys.

Once in my lifetime, I've been to Canada. We've rent a car an went from Toronto to the Northeast of this amazing country - Newfoundland. The journey through this beautiful landscape in a car from avis (I believe, that before us the car was driven by an indian family, which celebrated curry-parties inside ;-) the smell of curry was unbeatable!!! :-D), was one of the greatest experiences I've made till this day!

Also one time I've been to Capetown, South Africa, to stay for vacation at my uncle's house - I regret to say, nowadays he lives nearby Kuala Lumpur (also great place, but South Africa would be perfect spot to be in 2010, during the world championship of soccer :-party).

I forgot about malta, but I've made nearly the same experience like Ally - did you travel also with EF ;-)? The location was ugly, most of the teachers in school really nice, but the level was dumbed down that much, that pupils at the age of ten could manage it asleep...:-sleppy

Doctöse
08.03.2007, 23:32
Once upon a time there was a mighty MOD who was able to change a topic's title....:-D

On topic:
I've been to Ireland and Great Britain for several times. I'd say, concerning Ireland, Cork is one of my favourite places there. I really love good old Eire and I'm glad I got the opportunity to explore nearly every county and all of the "bigger" cities (one should know that the Irish refer to a city of 30 000 inhabitants as "big", no, even "biiiiiiiig" :-)) ).
My favourite cities in GB are.....what a surprise........London and (yes, this might be odd now) Newcastle upon Tyne. The latter is the place where Sting was born and fell in love with music :-blush