PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : foreign doctors working in germany

ubermensch
08.03.2007, 16:34
1. any idea what the procedure is for foreign i.e. non-EU trained physicians who intend to practise in Germany?
2. I'm particularly interested in neurosurgery, anyone know how long the training is?

many thanks

BlondBondGirl
08.03.2007, 22:26
Hi there-

I am an American studying in Germany and my thesis is in Neurosurgery, plus, my husband is specialized in medical law (and is German), so I think I can most definitely help!

In summary, the Germans did away with the internship a few years ago so we go right from our state boards to our residency. Neurosurgery lasts at least 6 years, but it depends on whether you get your operation catalog filled and whether the chief of medicine determines that you are "mature" enough for it.

If you are finished your medical studies, you can apply for a "Berufserlaubnis" for a few years and then take it from there. Please email me if you have any questions! [email protected]

-KK

ubermensch
09.03.2007, 05:27
Hi there-

I am an American studying in Germany and my thesis is in Neurosurgery, plus, my husband is specialized in medical law (and is German), so I think I can most definitely help!

In summary, the Germans did away with the internship a few years ago so we go right from our state boards to our residency. Neurosurgery lasts at least 6 years, but it depends on whether you get your operation catalog filled and whether the chief of medicine determines that you are "mature" enough for it.

If you are finished your medical studies, you can apply for a "Berufserlaubnis" for a few years and then take it from there. Please email me if you have any questions! [email protected]

-KK

thanks KK will get in touch with you shortly.