PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : to learn english in 360 days

Seiten : [1] 2

Hutch
10.03.2007, 15:59
Hallo guys, i need yours advice how to learn english in a very short time.
I decided to go to Australia for my elective placement in 2008 and now i try to learn this language ( and i don`t mean the medical english ). What do you think is the best methode to learn it ? I know i have to learn grammar specially but also my verbosity is not enough - i can see it when i read the application forms from the Australian Hospitals.
So, did you have some advice to me ?!

Bye

nanni83
10.03.2007, 21:11
I think your english is still good, myīs bad :-blush
But I would like to learn a better english, too.

Sackbauer
10.03.2007, 21:18
myīs bad :-blush

Yep.
;-)

nanni83
10.03.2007, 21:19
And how is it right?

Sackbauer
10.03.2007, 21:27
And how is it right?

What about: mine?

Dr. Pschy
10.03.2007, 21:57
sounds fine :-stud

Duncan84
10.03.2007, 23:37
Improving your listening comprehension might be the most import for an exchange, I think. So watch all sorts of films and series in original (english) language e.g. scrubs (anyway much more funny with original voices).
It's a very pleasant way to work on your language skills. Furthermore it's a good method to learn especially all the idioms which are most difficult in each language.

I think there is no need for a special preparation like vhs courses or something else. Once you are forced to speak english in Australia only a few weeks later there will be no more problems.

Enjoy your journey!

WWU2013
10.03.2007, 23:48
Improving your listening comprehension might be the most import for an exchange, I think. So watch all sorts of films and series in original (english) language e.g. scrubs (anyway much more funny with original voices).
It's a very pleasant way to work on your language skills. Furthermore it's a good method to learn especially all the idioms which are most difficult in each language.

I think there is no need for a special preparation like vhs courses or something else. Once you are forced to speak english in Australia only a few weeks later there will be no more problems.

Enjoy your journey!

I definately agree with Duncan84. Once you are in Australia you'll actually learn the most. Being immersed in an English speaking society without an escape route is the best way to learn this language. Also, as allready mentioned, movies and English news channels aren't a bad choice to help you improve. Special costly seminars instead are just a waste of money. You might also want to try to communicate with some people in English over tools like messenger or ICQ and post a few more responses in this English forum.
If I was you I wouldn't be worried. You obviously allready seem to have an okay grasp on the language. There have been people before you who have managed to communicate in English with hardly any prior experience.
While in Australia you'll probably also come across students and physicians who are not originally Australian and you'll be surprised by how difficult to understand their particular accents can be and how poor their grammar is at times. The truth is, with a little bit of patience and effort we all manage to communicate somehow.

So, enjoy your stay in Australia and just try to ease into the language while you are still in Germany!

- WWU2013

ubermensch
11.03.2007, 03:37
Yep.
;-)

dude, that is so wrong :-)

ubermensch
11.03.2007, 03:55
i think the most important thing you can do to improve your english is to practice speaking. you can do this with your friends who are bilingual or you can make new friends who'll be willing to practice with you.

other things you can do:

get english movies with english subtitles. this will help you get accustomed to the way the language is spoken by native speakers, you can also follow what's being said with the subtitles.

you can go online to BBC or CNN, read articles then copy and paste words you aren't familiar with. you can then set aside about 30mins - 1 hour everyday looking up the meanings of the words and finding ways to use them in sentences.

it'll definitely take you a while to become comfortable with the language but you'll get there. i'm trying to learn a new language as well so hopefully in a year we'll both be more or less fluent, you in english and me in the language i'm learning.

:-top

Kedar
11.03.2007, 10:15
Maybe itīs a silly question, but donīt they have a really weird accent down under? Iīve never been there, but my sister and some friends told me. That apparently itīs really hard to understand them, even if uīre english is quite good..

Evil
11.03.2007, 10:32
You'll get used to it in a couple of weeks because it's not that bad.
I met a physician from Australia in Galway and her accent was a lot easier to understand than the native's.

Sackbauer
11.03.2007, 10:41
Maybe itīs a silly question, but donīt they have a really weird accent down under? Iīve never been there, but my sister and some friends told me. That apparently itīs really hard to understand them, even if uīre english is quite good..

Yep, they have a weird accent, and they eat children, by the way.

Again, if you expect English as taught in school, go to Oxbridge, b/c it isn't spoken anywhere else.

Bille11
11.03.2007, 11:12
if it were spoken (in oxford/cambridge) like it was taught at school... it is not. maybe at the colleges there. true oxfordians speak some weird kind of english.

:-))

sweetashoney
11.03.2007, 12:08
Yep.
;-)

Come on, how unfair is that! She/He also added that she/he wanted to improve her/his English... it's not like you or actually we can't understand what she/he was saying, right?!? :-party

McBeal
11.03.2007, 14:10
Like Evil, I do not think it is too bad. A friend of mine has an Australian boyfriend and when me meet twice a month, we talk in English because of him. And it is very easy to understand him! So I think the accent won't be a big problem.

All the best for your time down under,
Ally

Sackbauer
11.03.2007, 21:13
Don't bother too much. My English is far away from beeing perfect, my IELTS-score is 7.5/10, and I have survived the last 1.5 years here in the UK working as a doctor. You'll pick up a lot, start with watching ER-DVDs in English with English subtitles, watch online-BBC-news, CNN....

ubermensch
11.03.2007, 23:30
Don't bother too much. My English is far away from beeing perfect, my IELTS-score is 7.5/10, and I have survived the last 1.5 years here in the UK working as a doctor. You'll pick up a lot, start with watching ER-DVDs in English with English subtitles, watch online-BBC-news, CNN....

the perfect ielts score is a 9, so i guess you're better than you thought. :-)

Kedar
13.03.2007, 08:35
Yep, they have a weird accent, and they eat children, by the way.

Again, if you expect English as taught in school, go to Oxbridge, b/c it isn't spoken anywhere else.

Never said that I expect english like taught in school, it was just a question. And accent can differ quite a lot, the same as in german and norwegian (people from the north have difficulties understanding people from the south and the other way around). Some of my english friends cannot understand each other, and they are all from the same island.

Ricardos
13.03.2007, 13:04
Hallo guys, i need yours advice how to learn english in a very short time.
I decided to go to Australia for my elective placement in 2008 and now i try to learn this language ( and i don`t mean the medical english ). What do you think is the best methode to learn it ? I know i have to learn grammar specially but also my verbosity is not enough - i can see it when i read the application forms from the Australian Hospitals.
So, did you have some advice to me ?!

Bye

Having lived in Australia for many years, here is my advice to you:

Lesson number 1 - don't say "Hallo guys" but "G'day mate". More seriously, lots of good advice has been posted on the site in response to you already (watch films etc..). Another thing you could do is find out if there is an Australian Pub (you'll be amazed how your English improves after a few beers :-oopss ) or Group where you live. Expatriate Australians love to congrgate and that's a good way to speak English, make Australian friends and get used to the accent.
The accent is not so bad and some people find it easier than UK/US English because Australians speak more slowly. Don't worry about the grammar, just get out there and talk.

Finally, if you are going to work in an Australian Hospital, you'll find some case histories in English to listen to on my site http://www.talkingmedicine.com and there is also an interview with an Australian doctor on Drug addiction which might get you accustomed to the accent.

Anyway if you take all the advice posted in reply to your question you should be speaking Aussie like a native in 360 days !!