PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Homeopathy in Germany

wobster
13.01.2008, 01:36
I had a conversation with swedish doctors who believed, and sort of made fun of, german medicine that supposedly believes in homeopathy.

How much truth is there in the statement that many german doctors believe in homeopathy? What was taught/what was the attitude at your university?
What do you believe yourself, and what is your estimation of the acceptance, also in numbers, among german doctors?

It would be nice if only doctors and students in the clinical semesters, who actually have a perception of the issue, participate here. Hoping for some real feedback so this thread gets sort of representative.

wob

Fino
13.01.2008, 02:12
I had a conversation with swedish doctors who believed, and sort of made fun of, german medicine that supposedly believes in homeopathy.

How much truth is there in the statement that many german doctors believe in homeopathy? What was taught/what was the attitude at your university?
What do you believe yourself, and what is your estimation of the acceptance, also in numbers, among german doctors?

It would be nice if only doctors and students in the clinical semesters, who actually have a perception of the issue, participate here. Hoping for some real feedback so this thread gets sort of representative.

wob
Belief in homeopathy is certainly more widespread among doctors in Germany than among doctors in e.g. the UK. I cannot provide you with any figures such as what percentage of German doctors believe in homeopathy but I guess it is not a small number.
Homeopathy did not play a role in my training at medical school, it was not taught and largely regarded as nonsense by most senior doctors. However, there was a student group "Homeopathy" which would regurlarly invite speakers to deliver talks about issues surrounding homeopathy etc.
Quite a number of doctors in primary care offer homeopathy simply because many patients expect it and think of homeopathy as some sort of "soft" medicine with less adverse effects.

I do not in believe in homeopathy. In my view whoever wishes to receive homeopathic treatment should have to pay for it privately.

Tombow
13.01.2008, 02:19

That's what the most docs at the University I studied did: making fun of homeopathy.

How much truth is there in the statement that many german doctors believe in homeopathy?
Not much. Some GPs are using it in otherwise therapy resistent patients (ie somatisation disorders and so on) or on patient's demand. But they're certainly a minority. Plus, it has to be ordered on an IGeL basis (not the least covered by health insurance).

What was taught/what was the attitude at your university?
Homeopathy is quackery. I was taught so and even without that, this is my belief.

wobster
13.01.2008, 14:07
Thanks for your input fino and tombow.

I'm hoping for even more experiences and views on the subject! :-)