PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : where to go?

Seiten : [1] 2

hunney
07.05.2008, 23:25
Hi everyone,

Im currently enroled at an English university, but for a number of reasons I decided to withdraw from the university and I am thinking of resuming my studis in Germany (not cuz they are so brilliant, more cuz I got family there).
It would be great if I could get some insight into the German universities which are currently favoured for medicine. Whatever you do, please dont just say "Heidelberg is great", because everyone knows by now that it is not true. I am not looking for a university which relies on its fame, but for one that actually gives a damn about the students, so small number of students, professors which are not almost comatose and if I could get some info on studentlife in the city itself, that would be extremely helpful!

Many thanks!

Evil
08.05.2008, 18:15
Hiho,

I studied in Bochum and I don't really recommend the RUB.
First of all there's not much of a student life in the city itself though it certainly got a fair amount of pubs. A lot of students do not live in Bochum but go there by car or train so campus life is rather low.
Second, as far as I know the lessons and lectures are poorly arranged, seemingly it got quite chaotic since I left (which was in 2005).
And during my time it's been famed as Germany's ugliest university ;-)

One rather big advantage is the Ruhrpott itself, there are few regions in Germany and even in Europe with so much cultural and commercial attractions. And surprisingly there's also place for nature and recreation not far away.

Greetings, Evil

Hoppla-Daisy
08.05.2008, 23:01
Although I feel quite comfortable with Duisburg-Essen University, I'm not really sure whether I could recommend it or not. Its reputation is said to be rather bad resp. its position in the exam rankings tells its own story. However, I have never had the impression of learning less than students of other universities. But I am convinced that EVERY university has its pros and cons, so it might be well balanced when comparing. So I don't really give a damn on such statistical data :-D.

Many students don't live in Essen, but commute every day. With respect to life outside the campus I cannot really judge what it is like, as I do not live in Essen myself ;-).

BUT: I absolutely love the laid-back and familiar atmosphere, as it is NOT a university for the masses :-)) (ok, spoken for the faculty of medicine). The overall organisation is more than merely satisfactory. I have never had any difficulties enrolling for those courses I preferred.

As Evil already mentioned, the Ruhrgebiet is a melting pot of different cultures and offers lots of different special features with respect to cultural life and sports activities. The Gruga Park is just around the corner if you long for some relaxing between two courses ;-). And in 2010 Essen will be "Kulturhauptstadt Europas" :-)).

The people in this region of Germany are very open-minded and cordial, which I appreciate very much :-top

EDIT: When reading through this again, I noticed that I have fairly well recommended MY university resp. the city/region. Fair enough ;-).

Grübler
10.05.2008, 11:44
Every student thinks that his/her university is the worst of all regarding docents, level of difficulty etc. About Düsseldorf I have to say that the first four semesters ("Vorklinik") or preclinical studies really are no fun. Or mostly not. After you enter the clinical part of your studies this suddenly changes. Significantly lower pressure, "human" professors and docents, a good atmosphere.

I'd say of Düsseldorf that I like it here, although there are things that aren't so great. But everyone - especially in Vorklinik - is trying to improve more and more. It's slow, but it definitely gets better.

I also heard that Gießen is a good one. Much contact to the docents and great teaching. But it's very small and ... agricultural ... there on the other hand. Your choice :-))

Gast26092018
10.05.2008, 17:12
Whatever you do, please dont just say "Heidelberg is great", because everyone knows by now that it is not true. I am not looking for a university which relies on its fame, but for one that actually gives a damn about the students, so small number of students, professors which are not almost comatose and if I could get some info on studentlife in the city itself, that would be extremely helpful!

Heidelberg is great :-)
Well, I mean its not just the fame, but with the fame comes money, when a university gets declared elite University money flows in, money for research, technology etc. Heidelberg is always the first university to get the newest medical programmes and technology…here you find for example the international cancer center etc. etc. (I don’t know what else :-blush)
People who want to enter research and move up fast should come to Heidelberg in order to study medicine...
My professors are very kind and helpful…the problem is just that its very crowded here I dunno about 400 students study medicine and dentistry together…but a few years ago it was worse, when the Mannheimer students studied here too…
But everyone must admit that Heidelberg is a beautiful old city, with lots nature, caffees, pubs etc….here you find lots of hot chicks and handsome and kind young guys like me :-))
But i just started my studies, so im a new fish, i dont how it will be in the clinical phase...but anwayzzzz i think you already made up your mind not to come here :-?
Everyone must choose his own destiney...So find and fulfill your destiney ;-)

Evil
10.05.2008, 17:37
but with the fame comes money, when a university gets declared elite University money flows in, money for research, technology etc. Heidelberg is always the first university to get the newest medical programmes and technology…here you find for example the international cancer center etc. etc.No guarantee. Every university got its own "center for important science". ;-)
But as you just have shown the students in Heidelberg regard their university to be the best... which does not necessarily means it is :-lesen

Everyone must choose his own destiney...So find and fulfill your destiney ;-)And remember that incorrect spelling may ruin the effect :-))

Muriel
10.05.2008, 17:41
And remember that incorrect spelling may ruin the effect :-))
Perhaps it's something for the that/that police :-))

Gast26092018
10.05.2008, 19:30
And remember that incorrect spelling may ruin the effect :-))
Its not the spelling that counts, but the meaning :-D
By the way, you made several grammatical mistakes in your text, but unlike you i dont hang such things on big bells :-angel

hunney
11.05.2008, 20:35
Good lord, guys I really dont care about your spelling and grammar, though its kinda cute to see you fighting over it ;-)
Anyway, thanks for your answers so far, that really gave me a good first impression. Im glad that despite the fact that university rankings are usually not that great everyone could report something good about the relationship between staff and students as well as student life. Im living in Canterbury (thats Southeast England) and believe me, Im not really a party person, but this place bores me to death. So I really was hoping to find a place where both the education AND life are satisfactory.
My friend lives with a German host family and she said her hosts would recommend the university of Jena. Is there anyone who can tell me something about this uni, or even better studies in Jena???

Again thanks for all your help!

Evil
12.05.2008, 20:34
By the way, you made several grammatical mistakes in your text, but unlike you i dont hang such things on big bells :-angelStrange... I'd thought a poser like you won't miss that... :-wow

condorito
13.05.2008, 19:28
big bells:-D
Reminds me of that tv-presenter applauding the rock star for his "big organ" :-wow
Anyway:
Studied in Bonn ( former capital) and really liked it there.
Student life was nice (and to my impression, has improved over the last years),courses were good most of the time and, if that is of any interest,ambitious research going on (especially neurosciences is pretty big here).

Take care and good luck
condo

Azumarill
06.07.2008, 14:27
ive been studying in jena for about 10 months now and i really like it a lot, though theres no university i could compare it to for i just started my studies. so if your still interested feel free to contact me^^

albertsendodd
14.10.2009, 12:57
Right now, I am doing MBA in correspondence. And I think correspondence study is really helpful when wants to earn during the study.

SynC
18.10.2009, 12:04
Heidelberg is great :-)
Well, I mean its not just the fame, but with the fame comes money, when a university gets declared elite University money flows in, money for research, technology etc. Heidelberg is always the first university to get the newest medical programmes and technology…here you find for example the international cancer center etc. etc. (I don’t know what else :-blush)
People who want to enter research and move up fast should come to Heidelberg in order to study medicine...

This is so much the cliche of the typical medical student from Heidelberg. Made me almost laugh. But it's really sad that a great number of the students here really believe in the superiority of Heidelberg.
Research is great, teaching is not better than otherwhere. Especially the system in the clinical semesters is kinda stupid. You never have more time than 4 (or even 2) weeks for learning a speciality like Neurology, because the examinations are all 4 (or 2) weeks.
In this way many of the Heidelberg students lack in deeper knowledge, because you are not able to work trough a decent textbook in such a short time.

Gast26092018
24.10.2009, 23:45
This is so much the cliche of the typical medical student from Heidelberg. Made me almost laugh. But it's really sad that a great number of the students here really believe in the superiority of Heidelberg.
Research is great, teaching is not better than otherwhere. Especially the system in the clinical semesters is kinda stupid. You never have more time than 4 (or even 2) weeks for learning a speciality like Neurology, because the examinations are all 4 (or 2) weeks.
In this way many of the Heidelberg students lack in deeper knowledge, because you are not able to work trough a decent textbook in such a short time.
I didnt say that the teaching in Heidelberg is so good, I meant specially the research and technology…in fact the preclinical teaching sucks:-) but anyway im a student who studies for himselfe…seldom I go to Vorlesungen and the preclinical Practicas are just a waste of time…I just study to pass the exams and get the Approbation. Then when you finish you can expand your knowledge, and enter the area you prefer. I mean anyway most facts you study you will forget after you graduate, so for what to deepen your knowledge in every clinical area? Are you Einstein or what? :-))
What is good in Heidelberg is that you have one full free semester in the end in which you can get into research and do your doctor degree, which highers your status in getting a good job, directly after you graduate.
What I meant is that Heidelberg and Mannheim are growing and expanding, there are lots of investments in new technology and modern clinics and stuff like that…so for people who want to move up and revolutionize medicine its favourable to study in places like Heidelberg. Here you have all the opportunities you need. I didnt say that Heidelberg is the best, I said its great, not the greatest ;-)

Sabbel
02.11.2009, 16:57
One full free semester in the end in which you can get into research and do your doctor degree, which highers your status in getting a good job, directly after you graduate.

Do you really think you can do GOOD research and write a good doctoral thesis in a semester? Wake up showie, life doesn't work like this. Properly done research needs much more time, and you need more time to grow into the process of research than a semester.

Do not misunderstand me, I love Heidelberg, a beautiful, romatic! city, but I have been there myself, and there was absolutely no difference between me and the students in HD. HD has a lot of tradition, is and old German med school (if not the eldest), but there are so many other excellent universities around, may I mention RWTH Aachen?!

Have you ever been to other med schools Maximus?
What you find, when you look up the doctors employed in HD, you pretty fast figure out that most of them have graduated in HD; they create and keep their own doctors.
International or so to say THE most famous schools on in medicine like Columbia, Harvard and Brown.... do have tons of international people to catch the creme de la creme. HD is only creme.
I have been to all of them, HD, Columbia and worship my experiences, but HD does not differ from many other med schools in Germany.

About technology:
I have been in HD in 2006. The clinics was old, and medical equipment and procedures did not differ from what I had seen so far, BUT I have seen hospitals in former Eastern Germany recently and I tell you that is where technology is at home! Have you ever been there to see a hospital. I bet you haven't. So don't judge by what you professors tell you but by what you have experienced and HD still is a good place, but just not the only good place around, even a really beautiful city, that I cannot and do not want to deny!:-meinung

Gast26092018
02.11.2009, 18:01
Calm down Sabbel:-))

Have you ever been to other med schools Maximus?
No, I haven’t been anywhere else than Heidelberg and Mannheim, I am still a young boy i still didn’t see much of the rest of the medical world;-)
Again: I didn’t say that Heidelberg is THE BEST…I said it is up to date and modernized and offers lots of opportunities for students aiming for high goals. I didn’t compare Heidelberg with Columbia or Harvard, these are two different worlds…

BUT I have seen hospitals in former Eastern Germany recently and I tell you that is where technology is at home!
Ok I didn’t think that east german clinics have a higher standard and better technology... but that I have to see with my own eyes…I cant really believe this at this point. Can anyone else verify this ?:-)

Do you really think you can do GOOD research and write a good doctoral thesis in a semester? Wake up showie, life doesn't work like this. Properly done research needs much more time, and you need more time to grow into the process of research than a semester.
I just meant writing the doctor degree and not developing a new medicine against cancer…id like to get in real good research when I start working, after my graduation….i just meant to write the doctor degree during my medical studies only for my status and in order to get a good job, real quick, after i graduate…that’s all.;-)

Coxy-Baby
02.11.2009, 19:02
Ok I didn’t think that east german clinics have a higher standard and better technology... but that I have to see with my own eyes…I cant really believe this at this point. Can anyone else verify this ?:-)

Come to visit our 7T-MRT ;-) , but i guess u got your own in HD.....

Sabbel
03.11.2009, 08:59
I just meant writing the doctor degree and not developing a new medicine against cancer

Even we do not plan to win the nobel prize what you may, if you have a medication successfully treating cancer...
BUT as long as there is tissue and growing tissue how can you avoid the development of cancer which mostly is not more than dysfunction, hypertrophia, maldevelopment of cells, so....

What I simply meant is, HD is great and they tell you, that they are BUT, you were smart enough to get in, so be smart enough to get out too and discover the medical world beyond the boarders.
Go to Africa, the US and some place in Europe and yes, I was surprised by myself as I never thought about technology in Eastern Germany but they have WOW- find out by yourself :-)

And HON, you will get a job after your graduation, and if you have experience from abroad, even quicker and it is not only the thesis itself, but WHAT you have done with this thesis and this only counts for university hospitals.... but what about just working in clinics? Have you ever thought about a non-academic career?
It is an option too... so go and see everything to make the best possible choice - for yourself.
Reasearch isn't just shiny, it is sharks attacking each other, burn out, depression and lies. You have to find out if it is worth the effort.

Gast26092018
03.11.2009, 14:41
but what about just working in clinics? Have you ever thought about a non-academic career?
I intend to become a doctor in order to treat, heal and save patients lives. I mean id like to get into cancer research and stuff like that, but I don’t think I am clever enough. But id like to do a bit of research and aid the scientists in this field, beside my clinical work. I really don’t know which clinical area I will enter. Maybe I will become a pediatrition.

Go to Africa, the US and some place in Europe
Im intending to do a part of my practical year in Jerusalem/Israel, in Hadassah medical center, which is the best hospital in the world, now don’t argue with me on this point:-notify…that’s a fact, so no discussions:-D.
I think Jerusalem would bring me extra points for my application for a job, since it is a dangerous area and then the Chefarzt will think "uff that boy risked his ass for his job...i think thats the guy we need":-love:-)) yeah that would rule.

Even we do not plan to win the nobel prize
So whats your practice?