PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : North American who wants to study in Germany + Age Limit

krzyboodah
11.03.2011, 01:55
Hi,

Thank you for this forum. It's great because I really need to get some straight answers.

I have a degree from UC Berkeley in the United States and am contemplating studying medicine abroad in Germany. I would like to study in the US but seeing all these stories of people with $100,000+ debt and really not enjoying being a doctor, it just doesn't make sense. To be practical, I'm thinking about becoming a Nurse or a Physician Assistant in the US; however, I am afraid I'd regret it if I don't do my best of trying to be a doctor before it truly doesn't make sense anymore.

I am not an EU citizen (US Citizen) and am currently 25. I am thinking I would go at around 30 to 1) work on my German and 2) work on my application. (any advice on how I should distinguish myself on the application?)

Would I have problems finding work?

Is 30 too old? Would that be a mark against me? Is there a mandatory retirement age?

Also, what would the training time be? I know it's 6 years for basic training but what about specialization? I probably would want to be an ER doc.

Finally, how would you rate the medical schools in terms of quality?

dantheg
12.03.2011, 05:20
First off, I wouldn't really worry about age being a problem, just remember that in Germany medicine is a 6 and a half year program and I do not think they would give you any credits. So the real question is if *you* are ok with being in your mid 30s when you get out of school and going into residency and dealing with being on call.

Do you just want to do schooling here and then go back for residency or come to Germany long-term? From your post it somewhat appears you wish to immigrate to Germany? I would be interested in why exactly - German roots, friends, family? The language is not the easiest be forewarned. Getting a visa to study isn't much a problem but getting one to work is no small matter - doable but not automatic. And there is no US style emergency medicine in Germany in case you are interested in that.

I personally was quite happy with the education I got in Germany and working now in the US I do not feel I have gaping lacks of knowledge. If you have a true interest in medicine and you are willing to partake in more self-directed study than you would be used to in the US then you'll do fine here.

Remember though that university here isn't free to foreigners. I don't know how much it will be, certainly not as much as in the US though.

I don't know ... nursing or PA school sound like pretty good alternatives, going to a foreign country for med school just to go to med school is no small feat.