PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Warum ist Anatomie ein medizinisches Fachgebiet in Deutschland?

DNIM
30.11.2012, 06:53
Hi dear doctors

Could you please explain why Anatomy (or Biochemistry and Physiology) are considered as medical specialties (and not PhDs) in Germany? Is there any way that you can study Anatomy in English in Germany?

Vielen Dank in advance!

Michael72
30.11.2012, 14:56
You can study Biochemistry and Physiology as Bachelor/Master in Germany (consecutively getting a PhD-Degree if you so desire). The "Facharzt für Anatomie", together with the "Facharzt für Biochemie" and "Facharzt für Anatomie" is an organizational necessity because each institute in the medical faculty has to have at least one doctor (as in Arzt). At least, that's what I've been told...

Kackbratze
30.11.2012, 22:05
and you are able to be a "Facharzt für Anatomie", if you finish med-school and then work at an unversity-institute.

DNIM
01.12.2012, 08:45
Thank you for your answers. But why is it an organizational necessity? What is the rationale behind it? What does an MD anatomist do that a PhD anatomist is not able to do? Why should you know German language when you're not doing clinical practice?

Michael72
01.12.2012, 11:12
Why should you know German language when you're not doing clinical practice?

Because most people would consider it rude to live and work in a country without at least trying to speak it's language?

Schubbe
01.12.2012, 12:19
The German language is difficult to learn for most people and common courtesy dictates that those who want to live and work in a country, also have to learn its language, that's right. However, in scientific research, I've never seen the prerequisite to be fluent in any language except for English. I can only speak for natural sciences though.

On the other hand there should be enough courses that offer to teach basic German in order to make the start as comfortable as possible. Could you specify for what exactly you're applying and what level of German Proficiency you need? Also, are you from the EU?

maniac89
01.12.2012, 14:56
If you are planning a career in research, you should look into normal PhD programs. As the others have said, biochemistry and physiology are not medical specialities per se in Germany.

Michael72
01.12.2012, 16:15
But why is it an organizational necessity? What is the rationale behind it? What does an MD anatomist do that a PhD anatomist is not able to do?

I think the difference is perspective. If you studied biology and maybe specialized in cell biology, then of course you can teach at a medical anatomy institute. Nonetheless said institute is part of the medical faculty and not of the biological faculty, thus it should be clear, that at least part of the staff should have studied medicine and not biology.

DNIM
01.12.2012, 19:53
The German language is difficult to learn for most people and common courtesy dictates that those who want to live and work in a country, also have to learn its language, that's right. However, in scientific research, I've never seen the prerequisite to be fluent in any language except for English. I can only speak for natural sciences though.

On the other hand there should be enough courses that offer to teach basic German in order to make the start as comfortable as possible. Could you specify for what exactly you're applying and what level of German Proficiency you need? Also, are you from the EU?

Yes,German language is difficult IMHO but if you have to learn it to reach your goals you will master it at last.
That was exactly what I wanted to say Schubbe. Most research programs are held in English as an international language and I like to do research about functional musculoskeletal anatomy but if I wanna become an anatomist in Germany, I should learn German language first (Level B2) because it's considered as a medical specialty there.
Some guys said that I can find PhD programs too but I haven't found any so far. They are all about Cell Biology and Micro anatomy,not Gross Applied anatomy.
If someone can help me to find such a program of my interest,I would be so grateful.

DNIM
01.12.2012, 20:14
I think the difference is perspective. If you studied biology and maybe specialized in cell biology, then of course you can teach at a medical anatomy institute. Nonetheless said institute is part of the medical faculty and not of the biological faculty, thus it should be clear, that at least part of the staff should have studied medicine and not biology.
I know what you say but they can be physicians with a PhD in anatomy(MD,PhD) and not necessarily Facharzt fur anatomie. However if I knew German well,I wouldn't ask it.

DNIM
01.12.2012, 20:20
If you are planning a career in research, you should look into normal PhD programs. As the others have said, biochemistry and physiology are not medical specialities per se in Germany.

As far as I know (of course via internet!), Biochemistry and Physiology are also medical specialties in Germany and the duration of each specialty is 48 months.(like Anatomy)

bipolarbär
02.12.2012, 10:57
Some guys said that I can find PhD programs too but I haven't found any so far. They are all about Cell Biology and Micro anatomy,not Gross Applied anatomy.
If someone can help me to find such a program of my interest,I would be so grateful.

Many anatomists I know have a background in cell biology or conduct research in this area while also being utilised as gross anatomy teachers, with mixed results. I believe you should look around the websites of German anatomy institutes and see if you find a team with research topics you're into. Usually, a short e-mail asking whether there's still room for a graduate student will suffice. Stress your interest in gross anatomy, of course.

Michael72
02.12.2012, 12:57
Most research programs are held in English as an international language and I like to do research about functional musculoskeletal anatomy but if I wanna become an anatomist in Germany, I should learn German language first (Level B2) because it's considered as a medical specialty there.

I'm not really into anatomy, but as far as my understanding goes, most, if not all of anatomical research is micro anatomy and therefore most researchers focused on cell biology and went the PhD path there. There are (at least in Heidelberg) certain MD/PhD programs (http://www.medizinische-fakultaet-hd.uni-heidelberg.de/MD-PhD-Programm.9569.0.html) that offer PhD degrees to medical students, but those are difficult to get into.

As to your question on the "Facharzt für Anatomie", there's usually only one per institute.

DNIM
02.12.2012, 13:28
Thank you Bipolarbar and Michael72.