PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Foreigner seeking help in English

djoseph
04.07.2016, 08:50
Apologies all, I was hoping someone may be able to provide some answers in English. I am in a similar situation as the person in this thread: http://www.medi-learn.de/foren/showthread.php?t=16586 but it's been 12 years so I was wondering if the situation had changed drastically since.

I am a non-EU citizen, who has already completed an undergraduate and law course in the USA. I have been a practicing lawyer for 8 years but I am exploring other fields of study. I know this is a bit of a long shot but I was wondering what the situation was for a non-EU applicant in terms of their potential chances for admission. Is it more or less competitive than for German students? Particularly if that person is older (33 years old) than average. Would I still take the same TMS as other applicants?

In terms of costs I understand that academic costs are not expensive (relative to the US), maybe 400-1000 EUR a semester for public universities - even for non EU students. The biggest determinant of costs is the city/locality where you study. Is that still true?

Further, I understand that there doesn't seem to be much emphasis on rankings of various medical schools. For example, in the US, where I studied, everyone is trying to get into the top ranked schools because they offer the best training (arguably) and the best job opportunities (definitely). Are there similar rankings for medical schools in Germany?

What impact does your choice of school have on your future plans besides affecting how much you spent on your studies and your potential quality of training. Are you more likely to be able to find employment after graduation near your university or is it a geographically mobile system where people who study in one part of the country have an easy time of finding a job in another part of the country?

Finally, are there lots of non-EU applicants in these programs and anecdotally is it the case that most stay in Germany or do most leave to another part of the EU or return to their home countries?

I recognize that my German skills are not up to the mark having completed 4 semesters of university-level German, I will need to do intensive German courses before I begin so I am willing to dedicate the time needed.

Many thanks for your time everyone. I appreciate this is a German website and do appreciate your patience in taking a look at a question that's entirely in English.

Kind regards,
DJ

roxolana
04.07.2016, 13:06
I am a non-EU citizen, who has already completed an undergraduate and law course in the USA. I have been a practicing lawyer for 8 years but I am exploring other fields of study. I know this is a bit of a long shot but I was wondering what the situation was for a non-EU applicant in terms of their potential chances for admission. Is it more or less competitive than for German students? Particularly if that person is older (33 years old) than average. Would I still take the same TMS as other applicants?

I would advise you to contact Uni-Assist, the application portal for foreign students. The application procedure for non-EU applicants will likely differ from the normal one. I don't think the age will play a role, your grades from the previous degrees will be more important. http://www.uni-assist.de/contact-en.html

In terms of costs I understand that academic costs are not expensive (relative to the US), maybe 400-1000 EUR a semester for public universities - even for non EU students. The biggest determinant of costs is the city/locality where you study. Is that still true?

Right. I pay 300 EUR a semester and it already includes the costs for public transport.

Further, I understand that there doesn't seem to be much emphasis on rankings of various medical schools. For example, in the US, where I studied, everyone is trying to get into the top ranked schools because they offer the best training (arguably) and the best job opportunities (definitely). Are there similar rankings for medical schools in Germany?

There probably are, but nobody is paying much attention to them. In Germany, the competition around med schools is based mainly on the popularity of the city. For example, it's quite hard to get admitted to Berlin, though the quality of the training is not that good, and I think that nobody really cares which school you graduated from when you compete for a job.

What impact does your choice of school have on your future plans besides affecting how much you spent on your studies and your potential quality of training. Are you more likely to be able to find employment after graduation near your university or is it a geographically mobile system where people who study in one part of the country have an easy time of finding a job in another part of the country?

The latter.

Finally, are there lots of non-EU applicants in these programs and anecdotally is it the case that most stay in Germany or do most leave to another part of the EU or return to their home countries?

I don't know. I would guess that most would like to stay in Germany, because most of the non-EU students I know come from rather poor countries. But it's just a guess.