PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Being an assistant doctor abroad and then working as a doctor in Germany?

carishma
07.03.2007, 20:10
hi,

I would like to know if I can do my assistant doctor in the UK, the USA or Australia and then work as a `full entitled`doctor back in Germany.

Im studying in Germany right now but thinking of doing the assistance abroad (because of the strict conditions here)....is that possible?
Will the german authorities acknowledge this?

And what kind of certificate will I get there? How are the conditions there? Has anyone made some experiences already?

Evil
08.03.2007, 14:18
As long as you stay within the EU (UK, Ireland) there won't be any problem. As for the other countries I'm not sure, you should ask the Ärztekammer.
Perhaps you need to do some kind of clerkship (Anerkennungsjahr) then.

Sackbauer
08.03.2007, 20:42
You wouldn't call it "assistant doctor", again, literal translations from German are wrong in most cases. It's called "registrar" in UK, NZ, AUS, and "resident" in the US/CA.

Evil
08.03.2007, 22:20
I don't think so, Sackbauer, the German "Assistenzarzt" is more like the house officer or senior house officer. The Registrars should be "Fachärzte". And the Consultants are more or less "Oberärzte" or "Leitende Oberärzte".

Well, that's what I saw in Ireland and I think it's the same in the UK, isn't it?

Sackbauer
08.03.2007, 22:28
I don't think so, Sackbauer, the German "Assistenzarzt" is more like the house officer or senior house officer. The Registrars should be "Fachärzte". And the Consultants are more or less "Oberärzte" or "Leitende Oberärzte".

Nope, you are wrong.

A registrar is a doctor in training to become a consultant, the latter is equivalent to a "Facharzt". There is nobody above a consultant in the english system, so OA or ltd-OA don't exist here.

Evil
08.03.2007, 22:43
Of course, the whole structure is completely different so it's useless to compare it like that.
But in Ireland many of the registrars are also fellows...

By the way what is the german equivalent to HO or SHO, then? They are working on call much the same like we Assis.

hypnotel
08.03.2007, 22:46
I'm longing to know the equivalent of Doktorvater...

Hoppla-Daisy
08.03.2007, 22:48
Doctoral (thesis) advisor :-)

hypnotel
08.03.2007, 22:50
*lightbulb above my head* ;-)

Sackbauer
09.03.2007, 00:06
By the way what is the german equivalent to HO or SHO, then? They are working on call much the same like we Assis.

Ich red den ganzen Tag Englaenderisch, ich nehm mir mal die Frechheit heraus, hier auf Deutsch zu antworten. :)

Naja, genaugenommen gibts den HO und den SHO seit August 2005 nicht mehr, da da das System auf das Foundation-Programme umgestellt wurde, und das 1. postpromotionelle Jahr von HO- auf Foundation-Year-1 umbenannt wurde. SHO-year-1 ist Foundation-Year-2-doctor (vulgo "F2-SHO"). Selbstverstaendlich machst du vom 1. Tag an der Klinik auch (Nacht-)Dienste. Ab dem 3. Jahr startet dann die Facharztausbildung, 5-7 Jahre, wo du dich dann "Specialty Registrar" schimpfst. Danach bist du Consultant, bzw. Facharzt.

Ich halt net sonderlich viel davon, gleich nach der Uni, ohne fundierte Basisausbildung gleich mit seiner Facharztausbildung (Assi) anzufangen.